Join in on all the fun at The Broke and the Bookish!
Top Ten Bookish Leaders
- Odd Thomas- Odd has a strong moral compass and possesses empathy and concern for others. He wouldn’t want to be in charge, but that’s why he’d be good at it.
- Katniss Everdeen- another reluctant leader. Katniss is flawed, but she readily admits it. She’s been through some stuff, she knows how to inspire, and she doesn’t have time for bs.
- Maeve Binchy Characters- okay, this is a bit of a cheat, but whatever. In every Maeve Binchy book or story, there is usually at least one or two female characters that are really great at helping others sort out their lives. Sometimes they aren’t so great at doing their own sorting (which is usually the case for real people too)), but their advice is always solid and spot on. It’s always calm and reasonable as well, and they soothe the worried or nervous character out with gentle but firm tones. “This is what you’ll do and it’ll all be grand”. And then it is. Wouldn’t it be nice to have a leader who is calm under pressure and knows not only the right course of action, but shows how easily it is to obtain it once we set our minds to it?
- Cardenia, aka Emperox Grayland- I really like her style, and the fact that she never planned to rule the vast space empire makes me like her more. I’m telling you, reluctant to rule leaders is what we need.
- Starr Carter- can anyone doubt that Starr is future leader material? Despite fear and pressure, Starr learns to stand up and speak out. She’s inspiring and real (you know, for a fictional character).
- Hermione Granger, Dumbledore, Prof. McGonagall, et al- there’s lots of great leaders to choose from the HP books. I personally also like Remus Lupin- think what he could have done to abolish the werewolf stigma!
- Amy Poehler- okay, I’m cheating a bit because she’s real. But I don’t care, I would totally vote Amy Poehler into any office (fingers crossed for POTUS though). I feel a re-read of Yes Please coming on.
- Tina Fey- copy and paste what I just said about Amy to this space. If Poehler and Fey ran together? They could rule the world, and honestly? They should.
- Blue & Gansey- Gansey is a natural leader, but Blue is a little more practical. Both bring out the best in others, so I’d love to see them in office (Blue would hate it, but Gansey already has the wardrobe).
- Mother Abigail- She’s old as hell, but she knows how to sacrifice to put others before herself. Plus she can come to people in their dreams, so how efficient is that? The Stand is one of my favorite books, and I would follow Mother Abigail in or out of it’s pages. The same for Fran and Nick and Stu.