Join in on all the fun at The Broke and the Bookish!
Top Ten Fandoms
Let’s talk about my favorite fandoms! This was probably one of the easiest Top Ten’s I’ve done… the hardest part was just limiting them to ten. Basically, I just looked around my house for all the bookish/fandomish things I owned.
- Harry Potter- Yes, I know, you’re going to see Harry Potter everywhere today. But I have so much Harry Potter stuff.. I went crazy at Universal not once, but twice. I have mugs and wands, and keychains, and headbands, and bookmarks and a teapot. I spent years helping to admin a Harry Potter fansite (that I’m still attached to), so I’ve written fanfiction (a tiny bit, for challenges, and mostly about Oliver Wood, but one really fun Grey’s Anatomy/Hogwarts mashup about a bunch of new assistant teachers), and rpged Quidditch games… so yeah, I’m a fan of HP.
- Hunger Games- I was instantly down with the girl on fire, and I even have a Mockingjay pin. We’ve played the game at book club, and with my nieces, and like HP, I loved the movies.
- The Raven Cycle- It was insta-love with this series. I’ve talked a lot about the magic of Maggie Stiefvater, and how the first book in the series led me to my job at the bookstore, but I also own Raven Cycle things. I have the amazing tarot cards, and gorgeous bookmarks I got off of Etsy (the place to get some of the best Fandom items, imo). I even created art (so not artistic here) because Maggie held a contest.
- Odd Thomas- what more can I say about Odd? He’s one of my favorite literary characters. I have the mangas, I have the Pico Mundo Grille coffee mug that Dean Koontz sold once upon a time on his website, and I have We Are Destined To Be Together Forever bookmark. I even love the movie (despite the many, many changes). I was heartbroken when Anton Yelchin passed away, because he had become Odd Thomas through the movie, but also because I’ve been a fan of his since he was a little kid. So I bought the Star Wars Pop doll of him as Chekov, but I’m going to alter so it looks like Odd in his white shirt and jeans. Why, yes, I can outnerd you anyday!
- The Night Circus- *let’s pause for a fangirl deep sigh* I don’t know if I used Etsy much before The Night Circus, but I’d be willing to bet the first item I ever bought from Etsy was related to NC. I’ve bought art pieces, and tickets to the Night Circus. I have a gorgeous print from Abigail Larson from Society6 (she, Maggie Stiefvater and lots of other wonderful artists sell awesome things there). There’s not much I wouldn’t buy if more stuff was available. My next tattoo is going to be Night Circus themed, So, yeah, I’m a bit of a fan. 😉
- Game of Thrones- You want to see me freak out and bounce up and down like a puppy on a pogo stick (extra points if you even know what a pogo stick is)? Then just play the opening chords to the miniseries, and watch me bounce! I love me some GoT merch, too. I’ve read the graphic novels (I’m actually reading The Hedge Knight right now), I have the mugs, the t-shirts (and I got some for the Hubs too), I have several Tyrion dolls, and his book of quips, and one of my post popular reviews ever on Goodreads is the one I posted for book 6 (which hasn’t come out yet, and no, I didn’t rate it, I just commented) where I plot to keep George R. R. Martin in a plastic bubble with a team of doctors to keep him healthy and happy and writing away.
- Outlander- Truth time, I’ve only read the first book. But I will continue with the series. I own Pocket Jamie, and I am, as I write this, expecting my bookish box with the Outlander theme. I will concede that if you’re reading this and you are also a fan that you are probably a bigger fan than I am, but I read Outlander years ago, so there. 😉
- Supernatural- Not originally a book, but there are books about it! And I want to read them! How can anyone resist the Winchesters? I’m 9 seasons deep in a Netflix binge with the boys, and I almost don’t want to get caught up, but when I do, I’ll just circle back (like a ring of salt, amiright?)
- Hocus Pocus- no, not a book. But there’s a book in the movie! Plus, I own Hocus Pocus things- including a bracelet, a coffee mug and a t-shirt. I’ve also seen the Sanderson sisters live, 4 times. Twice at Halloween at the local theater during a pre-show warm up of Rocky Horror Picture Show (okay, it’s 3 women dressed up and lip syncing I Put A Spell On You, and there’s also two dudes that always do Putting on the Ritz from Young Frankenstein), and twice at Disney (okay, one of those times was just three friends dressed up as the Sanderson sisters that my friend and I chatted with while in line for The Haunted Castle ride and the other time was during Disney’s awesome Hocus Pocus Halloween show). Still counts, people.
- Stranger Things- also not a book, but it was Fandom at first sight. I just bought a Barb Pop doll. I have the soundtrack. The Hubs used a computer program online to send me a Facebook message where the Stranger Things Christmas lights blinked I Love Katie in morse code (this is what happens when nerds marry).
Go forth and BAB!