I received this book for free from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.By Your Side by Kasie West
Published by HarperTeen on January 31, 2017
Genres: Contemporary, YA
When Autumn Collins finds herself accidentally locked in the library for an entire weekend, she doesn’t think things could get any worse. But that’s before she realizes that Dax Miller is locked in with her. Autumn doesn’t know much about Dax except that he’s trouble. Between the rumors about the fight he was in (and that brief stint in juvie that followed it) and his reputation as a loner, he’s not exactly the ideal person to be stuck with. Still, she just keeps reminding herself that it is only a matter of time before Jeff, her almost-boyfriend, realizes he left her in the library and comes to rescue her.
Only he doesn’t come. No one does.
Instead it becomes clear that Autumn is going to have to spend the next couple of days living off vending-machine food and making conversation with a boy who clearly wants nothing to do with her. Except there is more to Dax than meets the eye. As he and Autumn first grudgingly, and then not so grudgingly, open up to each other, Autumn is struck by their surprising connection. But can their feelings for each other survive once the weekend is over and Autumn’s old life, and old love interest, threaten to pull her from Dax’s side?
What I Thought…
• When was the last time Kasie West disappointed me? Never!
• How awesome would it be to be stuck in a library? I don’t care how unrealistic the logistics were, it would be fun!
• I was pleasantly surprised that By Your Side did not take place entirely in the library. This made the book so much better because we get to see what happens after the library.
• So many feels!
• Autumn has anxiety and I appreciated how well she was written and the message that came across with it. Autumn was still a strong character, but it also showed how she dealt with it (or in some cases didn’t deal with it).
• Dax was smooth and easy despite his upbringing. He had a lot going on even though he wasn’t given a lot to start with.
• There is a little more to the story than just the library, which I appreciate. I won’t go in to details, but I will say that I didn’t like all of Autumns friends. The situation regarding how she got left at the library made me angry, and I don’t feel that they were true friends. Autumn explained som
Overall another great contemporary from Kasie West. You won’t be disappointed!