Join in on all the fun at The Broke and the Bookish!
This week’s topic is:
Top Ten Books Set Outside the US, or Where In The World Is Midnight Book Girl Reading?
- My Brilliant Friend (The Neapolitan Novels, #1) by Elena Ferrante, Ann Goldstein (Translator)- set in Italy (and I just finished it, loved it!)
- The Crown’s Game (The Crown’s Game #1) by Evelyn Skye- set in Russia… with Magic!
- The Book Thief by Markus Zusak- set in Germany, narrated by Death. Yes, Death.
- Euphoria by Lily King- set in 1930s Papua New Guinea, based (somewhat) on the life of Margaret Mead.
- Daughter of Smoke and Bone (Daughter of Smoke and Bone #1) by Laini Taylor- set in Prague, and one of my all time favorite YA series (especially the audiobooks). I feel a re-read coming upon me…
- Fingersmith by Sarah Waters- set in England and one of my favorite twisty novels ever. It was hard picking just one book set in England!
- Circle of Friends by Maeve Binchy- set in Ireland and started me on my life long love of all things Maeve Binchy (the book is much better than the movie, although it’s worth a watch just to see Chris O’Donnell struggle with his Irish accent).
- A Game of Thrones (A Song of Fire and Ice #1) by George R.R. Martin- set in Westeros. And don’t try to use logic on me to argue that Westeros doesn’t exist and that Jon Snow isn’t waiting to marry me and Tyrion isn’t waiting to be my bestie. Because you are WRONG! 😉
- Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty- set in Australia, looking forward to the cable series!
- The Martian by Andy Weir- set on Mars. Which is about as far outside the US as I could think of (although I guess I could have picked different science fiction books…) .