I received this book for free from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.Wrong About the Guy by Claire LaZebnik
Published by HarperTeen on April 21, 2014
Genres: Contemporary, YA
Claire LaZebnik's latest twist on a beloved classic asks the age old question: Could the girl who knows everything be wrong about the guy?
As the stepdaughter of a TV star, Ellie Withers has it all: an amazing house in LA, a devoted friend who loved her before she even knew who Ellie’s stepfather was, and a burgeoning romance with handsome Aaron Marquand. But Ellie isn't the kind of person who’s content with simply having it all—the people in her life have to be equally happy. And, of course, she knows exactly what they need.
When Ellie’s plans for her family, her friends, and even her love life don’t turn out the way she imagined, she begins to wonder if maybe she could stand to learn a thing or two after all. Most surprising, though, is that the perfect person to teach her is the last person she'd expect.
What I Thought…
• I love Claire LaZebnik’s books. They are always cute and fun with a little bit of heartbreak thrown in.
• Wrong About the Guy is based off of Jane Austen’s Emma. I’ve never read Emma (don’t throw stones, but Jane Austen’s books are not for me), but Clueless is one of my favorite movies ever, and Clueless is also based off Emma.
• Even though I knew who Ellie was going to end up with in the end I loved how she got there and how everything played out. Ellie does a tremendous amount of growing throughout the book while she is figuring herself out. She was kind of hard to like at first because of her vapidness, but as she goes through and changes you can’t help but want to be her friend.
• Ellie’s best friend is Heather, who she knew before her step-dad became famous. They do not have the best kind of friendship in the beginning, Ellie kind of abuses Heather and Heather idolizes her, but despite that they do complement each other and once they work through those issues they are golden.
• Aaron is guy number one and while he is mostly likeable he is also a bit shady.
• George is guy number two and not the least bit shady. He’s older than Ellie by a couple of years.
• I have so much love for Ellie’s mom and step-dad. For one they are awesome parents for her, and two they have so much love for Ellie’s little brother Jacob. He’s a bit different and I really loved this part of the story and how things worked out.
Overall if you haven’t read one of LaZebnik’s books I suggest you do so, you won’t regret it!