I received this book for free from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.Take My Breath Away by Christie Ridgway
Series: Cabin Fever #1
Published by HQN on May 27, 2014
Genres: Adult, Contemporary Romance
Poppy Walker has a plan to restore the family resort, and she's sticking to it. So when a good-looking guy with plenty of cash rents one of her half-repaired vacation cabins, she figures he's just what the handyman ordered. But when a late-winter storm blows through, it takes down some trees, her roof and then…her self-control. Even though she's been burned before by a wealthy passer-through, she can't stay away from the brooding but gorgeous stranger in the bungalow next door.
Former teen idol turned Hollywood exec Ryan Hamilton wants a private place in which to endure his very personal heartbreak. Finally, at this rustic mountain cabin, he has all the seclusion one man could want—until sparks begin to fly with his sexy, formerly chilly landlady. By the time the weather dies down, they're both hot, bothered and certain they're still wrong for each other. But there's no telling how they'll face the new storm brewing on the horizon…
What I Thought…
- Life’s been a little stressful lately and this was the perfect contemporary romance to take me away from all the real life things going on. It’s cute and fun and a little bit silly. Plus I’m always a sucker for a famous/non famous romance going on.
- Poppy was fun and someone I would want to hang out with. She is very determined to make things work, even though her family is cursed. She also has a super cute son that she is raising on her own. (Seriously, he is very cute).
- Ryan has quite a history, some of it absolutely hilarious (and his determination to have the worst march ever, every year) and some of it is heartbreaking. I liked how his whole history isn’t revealed until about halfway through so it was long enough to build it up, but it was drug out for the duration of the book on purpose. He has a lot of coming around to do and while I enjoyed watching him do it, it also happened super fast.
- Poppy and Ryan meet in unusual circumstances and their situation was made more crazy due to the fact that Ryan is famous and the paparazzi are crazy. While some of it was over the top, that didn’t make their developing romance any less fun.
- Despite the fact that Poppy’s family isn’t all that supportive of her plans (see: the curse) I liked them. They are all a bit different but yet a little bit the same. I did not have warm fuzzies about Poppy’s son’s father. He got his though, so don’t worry.
- I liked the secondary romance in Take My Breath Away (which doesn’t always happen for me) however I didn’t like how some of it was done in screenplay format. I’m not a fan of reading plays so I didn’t care for that part and skimmed through those parts (only a page or two each time)
If you are looking for a cute contemporary beach read then Take My Breath Away is for you!