I received this book for free from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.Once in a Lifetime by Jill Shalvis
Series: Lucky Harbor #9
Published by Grand Central on February 18, 2014
Genres: Adult, Contemporary Romance
SOMETIMES WRONG IS OH-SO-RIGHT
After a wrenching loss, Ben McDaniels tried to escape his grief by working in dangerous, war-torn places like Africa and the Middle East. Now he’s back in his hometown and face-to-face with Aubrey Wellington, the hot-as-hell woman who is trouble with a capital T. Family and friends insist she’s not the one to ease his pain, but Aubrey sparks an intense desire that gives Ben hope for the future.
Determined to right the wrongs of her past, Aubrey is working hard to make amends. But by far, the toughest challenge to her plan is sexy, brooding Ben …even though he has absolutely no idea what she’s done…
Can this unlikely couple defy the odds and win over the little town of Lucky Harbor?
What I Thought…
- I discovered the Lucky Harbor books quite awhile ago now, but every time I hear there is a new one coming out I can’t help but get excited. They are just so cute and funny and touching and I really want to live there.
- One of the things I love best about Lucky Harbor (other than the guys of course!) is that each book features it’s own pair of characters, but all the characters you came to know and love in the previous books are still there, hanging around. I love seeing the little glimpses into their future.
- Aubrey is a girl I could easily be friends with. She may have her issues but I love her sense of humor, her sense of pride and she owns a bookstore so that automatically makes her awesome. She just opened the bookstore so everything isn’t wine and roses there. She is struggling to make ends meet and make changes to the layout to give the bookstore a more open, community hang out kind of feeling (which I love).
- Aubrey is trying to right her past wrongs by trying to do good things now. She is trying so hard to make things better and I really liked that even when things didn’t always go as planned she didn’t give up. One of the wrongs she is trying to right has to do with her sister, who it is easy to take an instant dislike to given that the first time you meet her she disses the bookstore! Not cool yo! No worries though, she redeems herself, and I hope she is going to be featured in one of the Lucky Harbor books because I would love to know more about her.
- Ben was married, but lost his wife. His method of grieving was to run away and travel the world and help design things (he is an architect) that could help a community prosper. Which is really sweet, even if he wouldn’t want to hear it. He’s come back to Lucky Harbor to stay, possibly for good.
- There is a lot of sexual tension between Ben and Aubrey. They are trying to avoid each other but keep crossing paths and the tensions just gets better and better. Ben does something kind of devious that made me both laugh and shake my head. In real life that would have pissed me off for real, but in a book I think it’s kind of sweet. The biggest obstacle for Ben and Aubrey comes from Aubrey trying to right her wrongs. I understand why Ben was upset, and he definitely overreacted, but I can see that happening in real life so all is well.
If you are looking for a sweet and touching contemporary romance Once in a Lifetime is for you (and all the other Lucky Harbor books too)!