Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.
This week’s topic is:
August 27: Top Ten Most Memorable Secondary Characters (originally done May 2011)
1. Game of Thrones series by George R.R. Martin- I love that this series is made up of so many characters sharing in the spotlight, but you don’t have to be a chapter heading character to be interesting. I could list all the secondary characters, but we’d be here for years.
2. The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton- my love for Sodapop is pretty hardcore. It helps that Rob Lowe played him in the movie version. Hinton created such great, interesting characters and helped show me that life is rough all over, even for the secondary characters.
3. A Discovery of Witches- yes, Matthew and Diana have the spotlight, but then there are all the other creatures! From Diana’s aunts to Matthew’s friends, the supporting characters are intriguing.
4. Until the End by Christopher Pike. Originally this was known by the Final Friends series and there were three books. I’ve said this before, but I wouldn’t be surprised if when I’m old, gray and senile, I’ll start to talk about Jessica, Michael, Bubba, Sara, Claire, Maria, Tony, Alice, Polly and Russ like they were real people I once knew. Bubba is by far once of my all time favorite secondary characters.
5. Harry Potter and the Fill In The Blank by J.K. Rowling. Prepare to see this on most lists. Who’s my favorite? Snape. And Remus. And Tonks. Not Sirius, I know that tons of people love him but I was always a little meh on his character. The twins… although they feel a bit like main characters? Molly and Arthur, Luna, Aberforth and his goats… I love them all.
6. Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich. How can you not have love in your heart for Grandma and Lula? I almost always enjoy the secondary characters more in Evanovich’s books, even the villains. They crack me up, and I love characters who make me laugh.
7. The Iron Fey series by Julie Kagawa. Surprised to find a book about fairies on my list? Me too! But Puck and Grimalkin are two of the best supporting characters, it’s impossible to leave them off the list!
8. Daughter of Smoke and Bone Series by Lani Taylor. Mostly because of Zuzana, but also because of her adorable boyfriend and Brimstone and Issa, and Ziri and Thiago and… Taylor can write like no one’s business and she can create some awesome kick ass characters, secondary or main.
9. The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern. Okay, this is on here because I love every word, every character, everything about this book. Like Taylor, every word feels like poetry and even the most shadowy of characters has a personality of their own. Hell, the woman turned a circus into a real character- she’s amazing!
10. Linger and Forever by Maggie Stiefvater. Copy and paste most of what I said about Taylor and Morgenstern to Stiefvater, because she’s a talented writer too. Right now I’m a bit obsessed with the Raven Cycle series, but first I read Shiver. And it was good… but the main characters kind of bored me. Then in the second book Cole steps into the picture and he and Isabel are why I finished the series. Also the book store Sam worked in. I am obviously considering awesome settings as secondary characters. Deal with it.
So what characters stepped out of the mc’s shadow and captured your heart?