Okay, Midnighters, I’m happy to announce a giveaway for a signed, personalized copy of The Chaperone by Laura Moriarty!!!
A captivating novel about the woman who chaperoned an irreverent Louise Brooks to New York City in 1922, and the summer that would change them both. Only a few years before becoming a famous actress and an icon for her generation, a fifteen-year-old Louise Brooks leaves Wichita to make it big in New York. Much to her annoyance, she is accompanied by a thirty-six-year-old chaperone who is neither mother nor friend. Cora Carlisle is a complicated but traditional woman with her own reasons for making the trip. She has no idea what she’s in for: Young Louise, already stunningly beautiful and sporting her famous blunt bangs and black bob, is known for her arrogance and her lack of respect for convention. Ultimately, the five weeks they spend together will change their lives forever. For Cora, New York holds the promise of discovery that might prove an answer to the question at the center of her being, and even as she does her best to watch over Louise in a strange and bustling city, she embarks on her own mission. And while what she finds isn’t what she anticipated, it liberates her in a way she could not have imagined. Over the course of the summer, Cora’s eyes are opened to the promise of the twentieth century and a new understanding of the possibilities for being fully alive.
Here’s what I thought about The Chaperone. It was a full on Midnight Read for me. Which is saying something for a book that contains no serial killers, no zombies and no revenge driven ghosts. The Chaperone is just a great book, I can’t wait to discuss it with other bloggers who’ve read it- it’s make a fantastic book club read!
Here’s what a lot of smart people thought about The Chaperone:
- “It’s impossible not to be completely drawn in by The Chaperone. Laura Moriarty has delivered the richest and realest possible heroine in Cora Carlisle, a Wichita housewife who has her mind and heart blown wide open, and steps–with uncommon courage–into the fullness of her life. What a beautiful book. I loved every page.”–Paula McLain, author of The Paris Wife
- “What a charming, mesmerizing, transporting novel! The characters are so fully realized that I felt I was right there alongside them. A beautiful clarity marks both the style and structure of The Chaperone.”–Sena Jeter Naslund, author of Ahab’s Wife and Adam & Eve
- “The Chaperone is the best kind of historical fiction, transporting you to another time and place, but even more importantly delivering a poignant story about people so real, you’ll miss and remember them long after you close the book.”–Jenna Blum, author of Those Who Save Us and The Stormchasers
- “THE CHAPERONE is the enthralling story of two women… In this layered and inventive story, Moriarty raises profound questions about family, sexuality, history, and whether it is luck or will – or a combination of the two – that makes for a wonderful life.” –O, the Oprah Magazine
- “A fun romp” –Good Housekeeping
Entering is insanely easy, just comment below with your email address and what you’d like the author to address you as when she signs it. You don’t have to be a follower (although it’d be nice!) . Winner will be picked on May 31st, so don’t wait to get your entry in!
Please take the time to give Laura a Like on her Facebook page!
<--- This is the nice author who will be signing your book whilst she's in New York for BEA- so even if you can't attend you can have a little piece of BEA for yourself!