Sandy over at You’ve GOTTA read this! is hosting today’s Movie Meme, and the topic is depressing movies. She also makes the point between tearjerker and depressing- so while some endings of certain movies like Dead Poet’s Society and Stand By Me are sad, overall the movies, in my opinion, are not depressing. So here’s my list:
1. Closer– despite an attractive cast, this movie depressed the h-e-double-hockey-sticks out of me. It makes you think that no one, no couple, can ever be faithful. Plus it was gross to watch Clive Owens talk filthy to Julia Roberts. Just gross and depressing. Never, ever again.
2. Old Yeller– okay, I understand that this book/movie teaches children about loss. But couldn’t you just buy your kid a Walmart fish? I promise you, it won’t live long and your child won’t be devastatingly depressed for years to come.
3. Dancer in the Dark– Bjork turns out to be a wonderfully charming actress in this film as she plays a dirt poor going-blind woman. But despite the musical numbers her life suddenly goes from outhouse to sewers, and the whole thing is too depressing to continue typing about.
4. In the Bedroom– I don’t like movies where nobody, absolutely nobody, wins or at least escapes unscathed.
5. Boys Don’t Cry– now I am not a fan of Hilary Swank, but gives an amazing performance in this movie. Too bad I can never watch it again because it’s so depressing.
6. Monster’s Ball– another movie where everyone loses, and loses big. Great performances, but overall the message is not one of hope.
7. The Elephant Man– not only did this movie both scare and depress me when I was a kid- but it’s the reason that for years and years I had to sleep with between 2-4 pillows at night because I was afraid I might die otherwise.
My last 3 were already picked by Sandy in her meme, but I totally agree:
8. The House of Sand and Fog
9. Grave of the Fireflies
10. Requiem for a Dream